Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Reading Rainbow

Well, since I have no knitting to post about (I'm swatching) I was going to do a book meme, but then I got too lazy. So I'm just going to post some of my favorite books instead. :D

Pride and Prejudice - I dig Jane Austen. I think I own a copy of almost every book she's written, and I like them all. This one's my favorite though. I tend to have my own prejudices, and I love having them overthrown.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Robert A. Heinlein) - My buddy Sam got me to read this book (he's taking over the world, by the way, so y'all probably ought to read this book too). It took me a bit to get into it, but I was fascinated by the dialect and the way the story was told. The ending was not prettily summed up either (ie - not hollywood) and it really pulled me in and made me think/wonder.

Harry Potter - whole damn series. JK Rowling is a fabulous writer.

Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card) - I read Xenocide on my honeymoon and got sucked into this series. Another great writer.

Lamb; the Gospel According to Biff(Christopher Moore) - this has got to be the funniest book I have ever read. It's about Jesus' years that are missing from the Bible, as told by his best friend Biff. Caveat - you MUST have a sense of humor about religion and/or God. Otherwise you'll likely be highly offended. As a semi-recovering Catholic, I about wet myself.

The Eight (Katherine Neville) - I love history, and I love historical fiction even more. This is a fabulous book weaving the french revolution, alchemy, and present day (70's). A bit hollywood, but good nonetheless.


On the press:
The Quantum Brain (Jeffrey Satinover)
Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
A Dirty Job (Christopher Moore)

The Dancing Wooly Mammoths (AKA, The Dancing Wu Li Masters)



4 comments:

Cecilia said...

Thanks for the book reviews! That Lamb book looks hillarious. I may need to get that one for my hubby to read to me (he reads to me at night while I knit - how lucky am I?!) As for your "On the Press" books (is that your "to-read" list?) I LOVED the Poisonwood Bible. Some people seem to hate it, but it is still one of my favorite books ever. I also liked Memoirs of a Geisha.

Cecilia said...

Okay, I have one more comment/request...I wonder if you'd consider adding your email address to your blog. I wanted to reply to your comment on my blog last week, but stupid blogger doesn't let you reply to comments, and I couldn't figure out how to email you. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on Austen and HP! Loved Memoirs and Poisonwood Bible. You should try Philippa Gregory books if you like historical fiction. I love her books!

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post but I just found your blog today and I had to say thanks for the review!
I love the Ender's Game series too and don't know that many people that have read it.
I also really like historical fiction. Have you read any of Margaret George's books? I really liked her book on Mary Queen of Scotts. Oh, and Neal Stephenson has some awesome books too.