Monday, March 17, 2008

Zen and minimalism


Pattern: Minimalist Cardigan by Ruthie Nussbaum
Needles: US 7 / 4.5 mm
Yarn: Austermann Inka Color in Burgandy
Mods: I dismissed the ribbing around the bottom edge of the sweater and sleeves, as well as lengthened the arms. I ended up using the hourglass sleeve pattern to the sleeve cap, then the minimalist pattern from there on up. Not as kimono-y as I was thinking, but I really like how they turned out!

I wasn't sure if I'd quite hit zen with this sweater, but I wore it today and I LOVE it. It's warm (which is good) and snuggly (also good) and not nearly so itchy as I thought it'd be (very very good). I think I need to find a proper closure for it, then it will be all good. Closure is good for zen.

What to do now?

Believe it or not, there's nothing that I'm dying to knit at the moment. I started the Indigo Ripples skirt from IK in a nice springy pink, but it's a LOT of stockinette and there's nothing good on tv right now.

So instead I went to the fabric store and found some bad-ass 70s print stretch cotton twill that will become a nice spring/summer skirt. A *wee* bit heavy, but that's not entirely a bad thing considering how freaking high my office turns up the AC in the summer. What's this about saving the world? Greenhouse effect? Bah. Let's keep the office at 67 in the summer.

Despite my renewed love of 70s print cotton twill, I can't have only *ONE* project on the needles. As I perused Ravelry with my 2 year old niece (babysitting time), I managed to find my way to the pattern browser for toys, at which point Baillie started pointing at patterns saying "Ooo! Look at that! Auntie! I will knit this, you will knit this, I will knit this... "

So much for only one project on the needles. :D

7 comments:

Octopus Knits said...

I LOVE it!

Lisa said...

It looks awesome and I love the colour.

a friend to knit with said...

GORGEOUS!
you are on a finish object roll!
great photos, again~

peaknits said...

What a gorgeous sweater! I love your modifications! Very zen indeed! Great fit!

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful cardigan on you! Love that color!

Katherine said...

Beautiful! I LOVE the changes you made!

Hilary said...

THAT is a fabulous sweater. If I make a Minimalist Cardi (it's been in my queue for some time), I want it to look just like yours! The sleeves have such a nice shape!